Posted: Mon, June 23 2014 at 3:49 PM, Updated: Mon, June 23 2014 at 4:27 PM
Medford, Ore . -- Through May of 2014, the Medford Police Department has investigated 251 cases of burglary, a 10% increase from the same time period last year. With the warmer weather and vacation season, Medford Police would like to offer tips on how you can protect your home and business from burglaries.
· LOCK doors and windows (or use locks / dowels on windows so they can only open a few inches).
· CLOSE blinds / curtains when not home.
· Leave a LIGHT on inside and out, or put them on a timer (motion lights are great).
· If you leave town, consider a house sitter, tell a trusted neighbor and cancel newspapers. DON’T let everyone know you are out of town and be cautious of social media. You can post vacation pictures when you get home. (Most burglars have knowledge when the victim is away).
· CONSIDER video cameras and / or alarm systems.
· Be a NOSY neighbor. If you see something suspicious in your neighborhood, please document it and call the police.
· KEEP bushes and shrubbery away from windows (cut down). Burglars like to hide behind them while trying to access a window.
· DOCUMENT all of your property. Write down serial numbers and photograph jewelry.
· BE SUSPICIOUS of anyone knocking on your door for an odd reason. Burglars will do this to see if you are home and / or scope out your place
Copyright KOBI-TV. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without written permission.