Dr. Siyad Returns Home

, Written by Lyle Ahrens, Posted: Tue, November 27 2012 at 5:17 PM, Updated: Tue, November 27 2012 at 5:30 PM

A Klamath Falls physician and his family had their lives put on 'hold' for three months due to a Homeland Security problem...that doctor was denied re-entry to the U.S. following a trip overseas.

Dr. Mohamed Siyad and his family went to visit family in the Maldives in July...but when Siyad tried to return home to Klamath Falls in August, he was denied entry - and was told he needed a special Homeland clearance.

"The visa was not really rejected, but it was kept in pending."  Notes Dr. Siyad.  "Apparently, they needed to do some further verification."

That process of verifying Siyad's name took the F.B.I. three months.

Dr. Siyad notes that the same thing recently happened to a Maldivian doctor working in Florida...

"And he went to visit his parents, and he got stuck in the same situation.  And it took three months for him to get the visa."

The delay also caused Dr. Siyad's son Hussain to get a late start at Klamath Union High School...

"And I kind of wanted to get back, because basketball was starting, school, too."  Says Hussain Siyad.  "Freshman year of high school starting - it was a big thing."

Dr. Siyad says he understands the verification process takes a while...but having to go through it a second time caught him by surprise...

"I'd gone through the same process five years back when I had been, when I entered the U.S. initially."

Hussain Siyad is still working to catch up on his classes, but remains philosophic about the delay...

"I guess sometimes everything in life doesn't go the way you want it to, but I guess you just have to deal with it."

And Dr. Siyad's patients are happy he's back...

"The support, and the love that my patients have shown has been tremendous."  Says Siyad.  "And I guess it's good to be back."

While Dr. Siyad has a valid visa to work in the U.S., he remains a citizen of the Maldives.

He and his wife have a daughter that was born in the U.S., making her a U.S. citizen.

About the Author

Lyle Ahrens

KOTI-TV NBC2 reporter Lyle Ahrens moved from Nebraska to Klamath Falls in the late 1970's.  He instantly fell in love with the mountains, the trees and the rivers, and never once regretted the move.

Lyle's job history is quite colorful.  He’s managed a pizza parlor; he’s been a bartender, and a “kiwifruit grader” at an organic orchard in New Zealand.  A Klamath Falls radio station hired Lyle in the mid 90's as a news writer and commercial producer.  In 2004, Lyle joined the KOTI/KOBI news operation.

Lyle notes with pride that he has a big responsibility presenting the Klamath Basin to a wide and varied audience.  "The on-going water crisis has underscored the fact that the people and the issues in the Klamath Basin are every bit as diverse as the terrain.  Winning and keeping the trust of the viewers, as well as the newsmakers, is something I strive for with each story".

When he's not busy reporting the news, Lyle enjoys astronomy, playing guitar, fixing old radios and listening to anything by Sheryl Crow.

Leave a Comment:

Note: Comments with profanity are automatically filtered and hidden. Verbal attacks towards others via our comments section will not be tolerated.