Medford, Ore. -- A Medford man has a warning for other homeowners after nearly losing his house in a fire Sunday morning.
Larry McCoy said his daughter woke him up after she smelled smoke coming from downstairs. That's when he found the back of the house he's lived in for 25 years engulfed in flames.
Firefighters responded to the scene on 12th and Newtown around 6:00 a.m. McCoy said the fire started after grass clippings he had bagged up and set near the back of the house got too hot.
But McCoy said he feels lucky.
"It could have been worse, much worse, if it hadn't of been caught as early as it was someone could have got hurt," McCoy said. "The house is kind of a mess, but it's saveable."
McCoy and his three other family members and their two cats and dog got out safely. Three rooms in the home are completely destroyed, but McCoy said they'll rebuild what they have to.
He wants to remind other homeowners who plan on doing yard work to get rid of yard waste right away so the same thing doesn't happen to them.
Copyright KOBI-TV. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without written permission.