Eagle Point, Ore. -- A blazing fire came dangerously close to burning down an Eagle Point family's home in the 12000 block of Highway 62 in the early hours of Friday morning.
NBC 5 News spoke with the family off camera. They say they're grateful that the whole family and their pets made it out safe.
Huge flames shot out of a rural Eagle Point garage around one o'clock Friday morning.
"The garage is a total loss at this point," said Erin Sawall, the Battalion Chief for Medford Fire.
"The first engine reported heavy fire in the garage as well as several vehicles and recreational vehicles in the driveway," Sawall said.
However, the family -- a husband, wife, daughter, son and his girlfriend -- all got out safe. Their pets also made it to safety.
"The smoke alarm woke everybody up and they were able to get out of the house," said John Patterson, the Fire Marshal for Jackson County Fire District 3 who was on scene investigating Friday afternoon.
Even with their vehicles being a total loss, the family said they're grateful for both the help from firefighters and for their safety.
Fire crews were on scene within 8 minutes and were able to stop the flames from spreading into the home, despite some challenges.
"Obviously in this remote rural area, water is a challenge," said Sawall.
But with five engines and three water tenders, crews got a handle on the fire within a half hour. Their quick action, smart use of limited water, and a working fire alarm helped to save a family's home and their lives.
The Jackson County Fire District 3 Fire Marshal said he traced the start of the fire to some electrical wiring in a motor home. He's ruling the cause as accidental.
Copyright KOBI-TV. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without written permission.