Fire Officials say one man is lucky to be alive after his lit-cigarette ignited a vigorous ball of fire all because he was smoking while using an oxygen generation.
It was around midnight when residents in this East Medford neighborhood were alerted by flames shooting from a family home on Willamette Avenue. Everyone in the home evacuated as the fire spread to another house next door.
That's when one friendly neighbor ran across the street and pounded on the door but no one answered. "They usually tell me when they go out of town, but the didn't. Minutes later fire crews arrived and determined that the family of the second home were gone.
Today, a family member tells NBC 5 that they were on vaction in Mexico and that she had to break the news about their house to them over the phone.