Nearly every bag examined for bacteria by researchers at the University of Arizona and Loma Linda University found whopping amounts of bugs. Coliform bacteria, suggesting raw-meat or uncooked-food contamination, was in half of the bags, and E. coli was found in 12 percent of the bags.
In a 2010 investigation, 7 of 17 young soccer players at a tournament in Washington became ill after eating cookies from a reusable shopping bag. The bag was on the bathroom floor and had snacks in it when one player became ill with the Norovirus. Even without having physical contact with the sick girl all 7 girls including chaperones came down with the virus, also known as the stomach flu. The CDC warns that people should practice good hygiene with their totes as they are becoming more common at the checkout line. Common household bleach is said to have the capability to kill the bacteria. The Norovirus is common and widespread. There have been four reported case in Jackson County this year. It can also be deadly among frail people like the elderly and young children.