Witness Speaks on Fruitdale Fire

, Posted: Sat, June 30 2012 at 10:25 PM, Updated: Tue, July 3 2012 at 4:45 PM

Today, flames consumed a home in Grants Pass, leaving virtually nothing to salvage from the remains.

The smell of charred wood and heat still emanate off a home on the 1100 block of Fruitdale Drive in Grants Pass, that caught fire around 3 pm this afternoon.
"We stopped we didn't know what to do it was crazy," says neighbor Amber Crawford.

She says flames were billowing from the rental, as can be seen in video sent to us by a viewer.

"There were three little kids standing in the fence," continues Crawford
According to her, four children who were living at the home, were stuck ... outside the home, but inside the backyard fence.   
"Me and my brother lifted the kids over," she tells us, "I said we need to get those kids over the fence."
She says neighbors gave the oldest child shoes because he lost them in the blaze.
"It was really hard, it was really sad."

And, as can be seen inside the home, workers say, everything seems lost
"All the windows shattered, when I looked inside the thing is burned," says Mark Harper a tech at Horizon Restoration.

And while firefighter's cannot officially comment at this time on what started the blaze, Crawford tells us this was yet again -- another incident of an accidental fire started by a child.
"They were all taking a nap, the mom was sleeping or something," she says, "and the little girl caught something on fire."

While harrowing, thankfully, no one was injured in the blaze.

At this time the name of the family renting the home and the owner have not been released.

Leave a Comment:

Note: Comments with profanity are automatically filtered and hidden. Verbal attacks towards others via our comments section will not be tolerated.