Another House Fire Started By A Child

, Written by Travis Koch, Posted: Tue, June 5 2012 at 6:06 PM, Updated: Tue, June 5 2012 at 6:42 PM

It's the second house to burn that has been started by a child playing around with fire.

A family of four living on G Street in Grants Pass lost just about everything following a fire that was started by a five year old who was  playing around with a lighter. The fire was so hot it melted the metal of the double-wide mobile home. Three of the families four cats are also said to have perished. This is the second house fire caused by a child in the last week. Last Thursday, an eight year old boy was playing with fire on the back porch of a West Medford home. The kid thought the flames went out but when the family returned later that day, smoke consumed it. No one was hurt but the fire caused damage to the rented house. Fire officials say now is the best time to educate you kids about the dangers of fire. Especially as we get closer to July Fourth and an expected dry summer season.

About the Author

Travis Koch

News at Sunrise Co-Anchor Travis Koch started his career as a filmmaker. He wrote and directed documentaries about traveling and extreme sports.

Among his many life experiences, he was a dog musher in Alaska and a baker in Minnesota. Travis began his career at NBC5 News as a weekend photographer and has continued to follow his dreams in television broadcasting and multimedia.

Catch Travis co-anchoring with Jennifer Elliott weekdays on NBC 5 News at Sunrise starting at 5:30am.

Connect with Travis

Leave a Comment:

Note: Comments with profanity are automatically filtered and hidden. Verbal attacks towards others via our comments section will not be tolerated.