Fire crews in Ashland were called out to an early morning fire off Normal Ave on Monday.
When they arrived on scene a chicken coop was engulfed in flames. A nearby tree had also caught on fire shooting flames nearly 30 feet in the air.
Officials tell us that all of the chickens inside died expect for one. They believe the fire started from a heat lamp that was inside the coop to keep baby chicks warm.
"I have been on fires before that were started from heat lamps inside of chicken coops," said Ashland Battalion Fire Chief Scott Hollingsworth.
This all comes at a time of heated debate in Ashland over whether to reduce the distance required between a coop and a home.
Under the current ordinance, a resident can have a coop as long as it's 75 ft from any residence, but under the new proposal that distance would drop to only 20 ft.
Fire officials say today's fire was a great example of how distance can save a house.
"This fire was about 30 feet from the house and it proved to be beneficial," said Hollingsworth.
The city council will meet tomorrow at 7P.M. to discuss the new proposal.