Police: hash oil cook caused Medford apartment explosion

, Posted: Mon, November 25 2013 at 11:17 PM, Updated: Tue, November 26 2013 at 4:20 PM

Police: hash oil cook caused Medford apartment explosion

Medford police say a hash oil cook caused an explosion at the Valley Pine apartment complex on Royal Avenue Monday night. They say there were five people in the apartment when the hash was being cooked using large amounts of butane fuel. Investigators say the butane fuel ignited causing the explosion. 

Police say two adult males were transported to Emanuel Burn Center in Portland, and that a 12 year old girl jumped from the second story balcony to escape the explosion. She was transported to Rogue Regional Medical Center with broken bones.

Residents were evacuated from the apartment for a short time, but were allowed back in aruond 11:30 Monday night.

The Medford Area Drug and Gang Enforcement Unit and the Medford Fire Department are investigating. They say criminal charges will be evaluated after the investigation is complete.

Stay with KOBI5.com for more on this developing story.

Incident Location

What do you think? Sound off on our Facebook page and on Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Leave a Comment:

Note: Comments with profanity are automatically filtered and hidden. Verbal attacks towards others via our comments section will not be tolerated.