Fire promps warnings for Winter

, Written by Jennifer Elliott, Posted: Thu, December 5 2013 at 12:08 PM, Updated: Thu, December 5 2013 at 12:10 PM

A morning flue fire is prompting warnings from fire officials. Around 9 a.m. Thursday morning, the Medford Fire Department was called out to a chimney fire.

Thankfully, no one was hurt and it didn't spread. Firefighters tell us during winter months these calls become fairly common.

"Enough heat super heats creosote build up in the flue," says Captain Bryan Baumgartner. "Eventually it ignites. It has the potential to spread into the attic space."

To be safe, they urge residents to have their chimney swept once a year. Also do not burn wet wood, garbage materials, or wrapping paper --- because, we're told, that can cause more build up inside a flue.... creating a higher risk of igniting a fire.

What do you think? Sound off on our Facebook page and on Twitter, or leave a comment below.

About the Author

Jennifer Elliott

Jennifer Elliott anchors the primetime newscast FOX26 First News at Ten on NBC5’s partner station, KMVU/FOX26. She also reports for NBC5 News.

Jennifer began her career at NBC5 News in 2011 as a production assistant. Raised in Southern Oregon, she studied voice and piano while attending South Medford High School.

After graduating from Brigham Young University-Idaho, she returned home and added organ playing to her music repertoire. In addition to her musical talents, Jennifer is an award winning artist.

She has also co-hosted Southern Oregon’s Got Talent, the area’s premiere talent show. Jennifer is married and the mother of two young sons who keep her busy and very happy.

Connect with Jennifer

Leave a Comment:

Note: Comments with profanity are automatically filtered and hidden. Verbal attacks towards others via our comments section will not be tolerated.