Investigators Rule Three-Alarm House Fire Accident

, Written by Travis Koch, Posted: Fri, February 1 2013 at 5:37 PM, Updated: Fri, February 1 2013 at 5:56 PM

Fire Officials say one man is lucky to be alive after his lit-cigarette ignited a vigorous ball of fire all because he was smoking while using an oxygen generation.

It was around midnight when residents in this East Medford neighborhood were alerted by flames shooting from a family home on Willamette Avenue. Everyone in the home evacuated as the fire spread to another house next door.

That's when one friendly neighbor ran across the street and pounded on the door but no one answered. "They usually tell me when they go out of town, but the didn't. Minutes later fire crews arrived and determined that the family of the second home were gone.

Today, a family member tells NBC 5 that they were on vaction in Mexico and that she had to break the news about their house to them over the phone.

About the Author

Travis Koch

News at Sunrise Co-Anchor Travis Koch started his career as a filmmaker. He wrote and directed documentaries about traveling and extreme sports.

Among his many life experiences, he was a dog musher in Alaska and a baker in Minnesota. Travis began his career at NBC5 News as a weekend photographer and has continued to follow his dreams in television broadcasting and multimedia.

Catch Travis co-anchoring with Jennifer Elliott weekdays on NBC 5 News at Sunrise starting at 5:30am.

Connect with Travis

Leave a Comment:

Note: Comments with profanity are automatically filtered and hidden. Verbal attacks towards others via our comments section will not be tolerated.