Posted: Wed, December 4 2013 at 7:00 PM, Updated: Wed, December 4 2013 at 8:11 PM
Just a few days ago Cameron Selva and Jon McCann had all their belongings packed up and were ready to move to California for new opportunities. But Tuesday morning they got a rude awakening.
"Woke up to smoke and crackling sounds," says Jon.
Cameron says "he woke me up and the house was full of smoke and we just had no time ran out of the house."
The two escaped with only the clothes on their backs.
Cameron says "we ran down the street to get away from it we didn't have any shoes on, I don't think we even had a sweater."
Fire officials say the fire started in the flu of the chimney and there were no working fire alarms.
Jim Webb of the Rogue River Fire District says "check your smoke detector, make sure it's operational first. Make sure your chimney is clean and inspected yearly by a certified chimney sweep. Burn only season dried firewood."
For Cameron and Jon, their wallets with their ID's and money they saved to make their way to California were torched, all their belongings burned, and they both have to start over, but how?
"I don't know how I am going to get back now cause I am out of money," says Cameron.
Jon says "we are in limbo now, we're just kinda going with the flow and hope something helps us out somehow."
But as they go back to visit what's left of their home, one little spark of hope made her way out of the rubble. And they are grateful that they and Bobby Finkel, the cat, are alive.
"I mean our life is the most important, so we are really grateful that we are alive and not even hurt."
Many local fire departments offer a do-it-yourself free chimney brush rental service, if you can't hire a professional.