Baby burned at daycare

, Posted: Wed, June 18 2014 at 1:03 PM, Updated: Wed, June 18 2014 at 4:00 PM

Ga. --- (WXIA)  Multiple state agencies are joining forces with Georgia's Hall County Sheriff's deputies to determine when an 18-month-old child was burned and how.

Megan Seabolt, the boys mother, says teachers at Discovering Basics daycare in Clermont told her they heard Damon scream at 5:30 pm, just 25 minutes before she arrived to pick him up.

Seabolt says the boy had on a different set of clothes than when he arrived and his leg was covered in lotion.

"When a baby is in childcare the whole point of the care part is for them to be taken care of," said Seabolt.

The daycare owner and her attorney would not talk on camera, but both said by phone the child was having an allergic reaction to a bug bite. They both insist he did not have any burns when he left their facility.

Seabolt says she took her son within the hour to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with second and third degree burns from his stomach to the bottom of his left leg. Pictures show his skin was already starting to fall off. Seabolt says the lotion only made the injuries worse, smothering the skin instead of letting it breathe.

"It was just red and swollen and had blisters," Seabolt said. "The hospital directly said that's a water burn. He has been burned by something that was scalding hot."

Damon was eventually rushed into surgery at the Burn Center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta. His damaged skin was patched with skin grafts that will have to be replaced as he grows.

Read more: http://on.11alive.com/1ngwgaJ

Copyright KOBI-TV. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without written permission.

What do you think? Sound off on our Facebook page and on Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Leave a Comment:

Note: Comments with profanity are automatically filtered and hidden. Verbal attacks towards others via our comments section will not be tolerated.