Bad medicine

, Posted: Mon, March 3 2014 at 11:54 AM, Updated: Mon, March 3 2014 at 4:16 PM

Boone County, Ky. -- A Kentucky third-grader is recovering after getting medicine at school that was supposed to go to a classmate.

9-year-old Dylan Davis, a student at Collins Elementary in Florence, said he was mistakenly given medication when taken to the school nurse's office.

According to his parents, the boy was given 10 milligrams of Adderall and 10 milligrams of Tenex.

He had been at the office the day before because of an upset stomach, but the medication dispensed to him Thursday -- as confirmed by the district -- was prescribed to someone else.

"They made me feel down and my throat was getting clogged up and my face was all tingly," Dylan said a couple of hours after leaving Children's Hospital.

He recalls barely being able to stand up.

According to Dylan, the health clerk thought he was raising his hand in response to her asking for a boy named Jacob. The health clerk took Dylan to the nurse station and gave him the pills. Dylan said the health clerk never asked for his name.

School District procedure for dispensing routine oral medication is states that health clerks are supposed to always ask the student to identify himself or herself and a photo of the child is supposed to be attached to his or her medical record.

The Boone County School District is currently investigating the incident. 

(WLWT contributed to this story)

Read more:


What do you think? Sound off on our Facebook page and on Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Leave a Comment:

Note: Comments with profanity are automatically filtered and hidden. Verbal attacks towards others via our comments section will not be tolerated.