Fire in Grants Pass destroys garage

, Written by Kassi Nelson, Posted: Thu, May 22 2014 at 5:50 PM, Updated: Fri, May 23 2014 at 10:36 PM

Grants Pass, Ore. -- 25 firefighters responded to a garage fire this morning on Southwest J street in Grants Pass.

Grants Pass Fire Inspector, Joe Hyatt, said the homeowner was burning weeds. He thought he put the fire out, and walked away. 20 minutes later he noticed flames coming from his detached garage.

"We made a really aggressive attack. There was a propane tank that was venting so we were concerned about the neighboring houses," Hyatt said.

Although both Grants Pass and Rural Metro Fire contained the fire withing ten minutes it still destroyed the inside of the garage and did minor damage to 2 other homes.

Copyright KOBI-TV. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without written permission.

Incident Location

What do you think? Sound off on our Facebook page and on Twitter, or leave a comment below.

About the Author

Kassi Nelson

NBC5 News reporter Kassi Nelson was born and raised in Nebraska. She graduated from the journalism school at University of Nebraska Lincoln where she studied broadcasting.

She also studied philosophy in the Czech Republic. Kassi has visited nine other countries including Sochi, Russia, where she reported on the preparations for the 2014 Olympic Games.

She loves skiing and live concerts!

Leave a Comment:

Note: Comments with profanity are automatically filtered and hidden. Verbal attacks towards others via our comments section will not be tolerated.