Our recipe this week is in honor of the Green Bay Packers. This pepper jack mac and cheese is comfort food with a kick! Here is what you’ll need:
1 box of elbow macaroni
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder
4 tablespoons flour
dash of salt
dash of pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot boil about 6 cups of water. Add a bit of salt or olive oil to the water for flavor and to help pasta not stick to each other.
- Add entire box of elbow macaroni to the boiling water. Leave it uncovered and let it return to a boil. Cook for about 9 minutes if you like it al dente.
- In a large pan add the butter and garlic powder. Let the butter melt completely on medium heat.
- Spoon in the flour tablespoon by tablespoon while whisking constantly. Whisk for about a minute making sure all the lumps from the flour are gone. This will help thicken the cheese sauce, and cooking it for a few minutes will help get rid of the dull flour taste!
- Next pour in the milk, still stirring constantly over medium heat. Add in the sour cream, salt and pepper. You’ll need to stir constantly for a few minutes as the sauce will start to thicken.
- Now add the cheese, leaving a little left to top the mac and cheese at the end.
- Your pasta should be done cooking. Take it off the heat and drain it.
- Once your sauce is thick and the cheese is melted, stir in the cooked pasta.
- Scoop your mac and cheese into a baking dish and sprinkle the rest of your cheese on top. Place it in the oven uncovered for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and it starts to turn golden brown.
- Serve hot! Enjoy!