Medical cannabis cookie sickens Klamath Falls boy

Klamath Falls, Ore. – “Never eat a cookie that you find on the ground,” those words from a young boy who was hospitalized this weekend after he accidentally ate a medical marijuana cookie. “I felt like I was vibrating up and down, and that everything looked like it wasn’t real.”

Eight-year-old Jackson Hart of Klamath Falls had eaten what he thought was just a cookie. He said, “I seen a wrapper that said ‘cookie’. I grabbed it, and it was heavy, and I looked inside and it was a cookie, and I ate it, and it was not a good cookie.”

The boy found the cookie at a rock quarry at the end of Balsam Drive in the Stewart-Lenox area at about 3:00 Saturday afternoon, and began feeling sick a couple of hours later.

“My son started staying he wasn’t feeling very well, pulling at his face, and saying that he wasn’t feeling right,”  Said Jackson’s mother, Jessica Hart. She took her son to the hospital after reading that the cookie contained medical marijuana. Hart said the amount that comes in a cookie is 2 does for an adult, that’s enough to hospitalize a child.

Jackson was in the hospital for over 5 hours as doctors monitored his rapid pulse and heart rate. His mother is hoping that this will serve as a reminder to keep all medicines away from children.

While Jackson’s doing just fine now, there’s something important that he’d like to share, “Never eat a cookie that you find on the ground.”

Jessica Hart says officials from poison control are using cases like this to study the unknown effects of large doses of marijuana on children.

 

Leave a Comment:

Note: By commenting below you agree to abide by the KOBI5.com commenting guidelines. View the KOBI5.com Comment Board Guidelines »