Baby tossed from burning building

NC_firebaby1105_700x394Longview, Wash. — (KGW) A Longview, Washington family is safe thanks to a neighbor who helped them escape from their fiery apartment.

Mark Hedgpeth can’t stop reliving the events of that Sunday after Halloween. He was at home relaxing when he noticed something unusual on his home security camera.

Hedgpeth then heard his neighbors screaming for help. He rushed over to the duplex next door. He found it engulfed in flames. A family of five was trapped in the downstairs apartment. The James family was trapped upstairs.

“My husband usually knows what to do,” said Chiann James. “But he froze.”

James says her ‘mama skills’ kicked in. She raced over to the second story window. She settled her nerves and dropped her 11-month-old baby girl to Hedgpeth who was standing below.

“You realize that child’s well-being is in your hands and nothing was going to make me miss,” said Hedgpeth.

Read more:

© 2023 KOBI-TV NBC5. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.

Skip to content