Klamath Falls students save man, dog from burning home

fireKlamath Falls, Ore. – Students coming home from school may have saved the life of a Klamath Falls man Wednesday afternoon when his house caught fire.

Emergency crews were called to a fire near the intersection of Dayton Street and Freida Street shortly after 3.

Neighbors were able to get a sleeping man and his dog out of the house to safety.

“I seen a fire, so I ran up, and everyone seen it.”  Notes neighbor Derek Moore.  “So I yelled ‘fire!’ and so everyone came to the house, and my Mom called 911.”

Neighbor Dawna Dalton watched the drama unfold:  “They ran into the house and woke Mister Gomez up, and got him out of the house thank goodness.”

Investigators say the fire was sparked by a smoldering cigarette in a plastic trash can next to the home.

Total damage to the house and contents is estimated at about $100,000.

© 2023 KOBI-TV NBC5. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.

Skip to content