Redding, Calif. – Following intense winter weather, U.S. Forest Service officials are asking the public to be “extremely cautious” while driving on forest roads and hiking on trails throughout northern California.
According to the USFS, many roads and trail in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest have been heavily damaged by erosion, rock slides and downed trees.
“There may be hazards that have not yet been identified as some areas are unsafe for employees to enter,” said Forest Engineer Virginia Jones. “Crews are prioritizing road repairs based on public safety and the need to access residential and other important areas.”
Once snow-covered trails and roads are accessible again, the Forest Service expects to find more damage.
If you find any damage that is not listed below, call the Shasta-Trinity National Forest Supervisor’s Office at (530) 226-2500.
The following is a list of damaged roads Shasta-Trinity National Forest:
- Fenders Ferry Road 27 (34N17) is damaged in many places and there is an impassable rock slide approximately one mile west of Madrone Campground.
- A portion of Summit Lake Road 37 (37N02) collapsed and is impassable east of Big Bend approximately one half mile east of its junction with Forest Service Road 38N11.
- Hirz Mountain Road (35N04) has eroded areas, and is not wide enough to drive a vehicle safely up to the lookout.
- Pit River Road (37N60Y) is damaged and closed. Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) maintains much of this road.
- Coyote Road (37N43) and Girard Ridge Road (39N13) have unspecified damages.
- Pettijohn Road (34N76) has a crack in the road surface, but the road is still in place.
- Indian Valley Road (2N10) has a slump near milepost 0.7.
- Moores Road (1S26) has a slide onto the road.
- Stuart Fork Road (35N33Y) is washed out 0.8 miles from Hwy 3.
- Gregory Creek Road (35N15) has a small mudslide on the road to Gregory Beach dispersed camping area.
- Canyon Creek Road (401) has a rock slide on the road, and is not wide enough to drive a vehicle safely to Ripstein Campground. The county maintained portion of this road also is damaged.