Deputy Charles Dozé released from hospital weeks after shooting

 KGW Staff

PORTLAND, Ore. — Deputy Charles Dozé, who was shot multiple times while serving an eviction notice at a Tualatin apartment complex on July 26, was released from the hospital Tuesday morning, the Washington County Sheriff’s Office confirmed. He will continue his recovery and rehabilitation at home.

“Chuck’s release from the hospital makes today a day of hope and strengthens us as a family and community. We are all very grateful for the love, support, and prayers that continue for Chuck and his family,” Washington County Sheriff Pat Garrett said in a statement.

A procession of police vehicles accompanied Dozé on his way home from the hospital, with multiple other regional law enforcement agencies participating in the escort. Garrett also thanked the Beaverton, Forest Grove, Hillsboro, Sherwood and Tigard police department for helping cover service calls to free up Washington County deputies to attend.

Dozé suffered life-threatening injuries when the suspect opened fire at him and two other deputies as soon as they knocked on the apartment door, according to the sheriff’s office and a GoFundMe page set up by the president of the Washington County Police Officers Association. He was flown by helicopter to Legacy Emanuel hospital for treatment.

The suspect barricaded themselves inside, prompting a standoff with police for several hours until a SWAT team found the suspect dead in the apartment. The suspect had been shot at least once, and the other deputies did return fire when Dozé was shot, WCSO said, but it was unclear whether the suspect was shot in that initial exchange or shot himself during the standoff. He was later identified as 34-year-old Kristafer Graves.

The sheriff’s office reported on July 30 that Dozé was awake and talking, but said it could take months or years for him to recover from his injuries.

The full extent of the injuries was detailed last week; the sheriff’s office said he was shot a total of seven times, including twice in the head, causing him to lose his left eye and multiple teeth. He was also shot in both arms, breaking both the left and right upper arm bones, and three times in the upper torso, although his body armor stopped each of those bullets. As of last Wednesday, the sheriff’s office said he still had multiple surgeries ahead of him.

“I am just incredibly happy that I get to see him and talk to him. I’m so grateful,” Dozé’s daughter Kaela told KGW last week. “He’s like, ‘I can’t wait until I get out of this bed and I can give you guys a hug!’ Because he feels so confined, and he’s an active person, so it’s been difficult for him to rely on others to take care of him.”

© 2024 KOBI-TV NBC5. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.

Taylar Ansures is a producer and reporter for NBC5 News. Taylar is from Redding, California and went to California State University, Chico. After graduating, she joined KRCR News Channel 7 in Redding as a morning producer. She moved to Southern Oregon in 2022 to be closer to family and became KTVL News 10’s digital producer. Taylar is currently finishing her Master's Degree in Professional Creative Writing through the University of Denver. In her free time, Taylar frequents independent bookstores and explores hiking trails across Southern Oregon and Northern California.
Skip to content