Evacuation notices in the following article were effective as of 11:30 a.m. on July 31. Evacuation levels may have changed since this article was published. For the latest updates, visit the following website: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6058/
The lightning-sparked fire started after a thunderstorm swept over the area on July 15. Since then, the Taylor Creek Fire—once part of the Garner Complex—has grown to nearly 25,000 acres. It’s currently 20% contained.
The fire has triggered numerous and ever-changing evacuation notices and area closures. The latest closure restricted access to public land in Josephine County along Merlin-Galice Road (Josephine County Road #2400 and #2401 from the Hog Creek boat Ramp north and west to the Rainie Falls Trailead. As of July 31, those areas will be closed to unauthorized entry. The Bureau of Land Management will post signs at all main entry points.
Many boating access points on the Rogue River were also closed due to the Taylor Creek Fire. According to the Josephine County Sheriff’s Office, the river is closed to all recreational use between Hog Creek Boat Ramp and the Galice Boat Ramp. Rafters and boaters are encouraged to visit OSMB’s interactive map for the latest information. They’re also encouraged to watch out for helicopters in the area gathering water for fire suppression.
The following evacuation notices were made on Sunday evening:
- Level 3 (go)
- West Pickett Creek Road
- Shan Creek Road
- Oak Flat Community on Illinois River Road
- Taylor Creek Road near Galice Road including 600 Taylor Creek Road, 8599 Galice Road, 8585 Galice Road, 8581 Galice Road, 8529 Galice Road and 8519 Galice Road
- Pickett Creek Road including secondary roads
- All residences on Riverbanks Road between Shan Creek Road and Riverbanks Road at Lower River Road
- Level 2 (be set)
- Limpy Creek Road from Riverbanks Road to 1230 Limpy Creek Road
- Limpy Creek Road addresses from 1230 Limpy Creek Road and above
- Dutcher Creek Road including secondary roads
- Riverbanks Road between Shan Creek Road and 3550 block Riverbanks Road including all secondary roads and streets
- Galice Road from Stratton Creek to 12303 Galice Road including residences off Galice Creek Road and Peavine Road (Galice Creek Road – addresses 257, 289, 1045, 1750, 1311 and Galice Road – Indian Mary Park and addresses 8500, 8000, 6755 are under Level 3 evacuations)
- Illinois River Road from milepost 2.5 to the Oak Flat community.
- Level 1 (be ready)
- All residences north of Redwood Highway including residences located on Little Cheyenne Trail, Round Prairie, Minnow Lane, Firview Lane, Splendor Drive, Wonder Land, Wild Raspberry Court, Newt Gulch Road, Waters Creek Road and private roads/driveways.
Roadblocks have been established at the following locations:
- Riverbanks Road at U.S. Highway 199
- Lower River Road at Robertson Bridge Road
- Briggs Valley Road at U.S. Highway 199
- Taylor Creek Road at Galice Road
Griffin County Park was closed Monday due to proximity of the Taylor Creek Fire. Galice Road was also cloased to all traffic between Stratton Creek Road and Taylor Creek Road. The duration of the road closure is not yet known.
To sign up for Josephine County’s emergency notification system, visit http://www.rvem.org.