Medford, Ore. — Charter high school students will not be excluded from public school activities like drama, band and sports until 2018.
That’s the word from the Medford School Board Monday night.
The Medford School Board is deciding to give charter school students 18 months until a revised policy to take them out of public school activities goes into effect.
“When they told me I couldn’t try out I was really disappointed because I really was excited to go back into sports,” Logos Charter School student Chad Moncus said.
Chad Moncus previously played soccer, but after tearing his ACL, he had to quit.
The doctor told him to try swimming — a non-contact sport.
But when he went to try out for the team at South Medford High, he was told there wasn’t enough space.
That’s because Medford public schools have a policy that charter school students may participate within their residence area schools if space and materials are available.
The Medford School Board is keeping that policy for another 18 months.
“I came up with the idea that we at least extend our current policy for two more years,” Medford Board Vice Chair Larry Nicholson said.
Nicholson hopes the board works with the charter schools in that time to help them develop their own programs.
The board also believes it will give charter school families an opportunity to smoothly transition.
Until then, charter school students like Moncus will still be able to participate, but only if there is enough space as the policy currently states.
The revised policy will go into effect June of 2018.
© 2023 KOBI-TV NBC5. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.