The Illinois Valley Fire District says a fire Monday night on Holland Loop Road started as a flue fire, but spread to the attic.
IVFD used a chainsaw to cut a hole in the back of the house to provide access to the fire.
It was quickly extinguished and no one was hurt.
Experts say it’s an all too common thing at the beginning of winter, and can be avoided by proper fireplace maintenance.
“There’s a lot of people that wait until its too late to where they’re either backing up smoke into the house or they do have a major flue fire,” said Ben Bansen, owner of American Chimney Pros, “which causes damage to their house, and it’s potentially really dangerous.”
Bansen said some tips to make sure your fireplace is safe is having it inspected and maintained annually, use well-seasoned wood and if you can’t remember the last time you had it checked, it’s probably time for another one.
Nicole Costantino is a reporter and weather forecaster for NBC5 News. She comes to us from Phoenix, Arizona where she graduated from Arizona State University’s Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication. She also received a minor in Meteorology.
Before coming to NBC5 News Nicole was an anchor, weather forecaster and reporter at KAET in Phoenix, AZ. In college, she interned for CBS Evening News in New York City and the NBC4 Investigative Team in Los Angeles.
In her free time, you can find Nicole cheering on her Sun Devils and exploring the Pacific Northwest. Feel free to send story ideas and chocolate chip cookie recipes to her on Facebook (@NicoleCostantino) or Twitter (@NicCostantino).