Saturday marks five years since David Grubbs Homicide

Ashland, Ore. — The city of Ashland is still reeling from the death of David Grubbs, a young man killed in a brutal attack near Hunter park. Saturday marks half a decade since his death, and police are continuing to sift through information, reviewing the case, and asking for new tips from the public.

A memorial that was started on the bike path five years ago has grown; piece by piece, added by a community that’s still haunted by this unsolved homicide.

“It’s a shock to the community,” Ashland man Chris Karas said. “It’s just a sad story that hasn’t been resolved yet.”

On November 19, 2011, Grubbs was nearly decapitated while walking home from work on the bike path. Even though it’s been five years, Ashland Police Chief Tighe O’Meara said information is still being gathered in the case.

“We do get tips still that are new coming in,” O’Meara said.

Recently, a retired detective from the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office, who was involved in the initial investigation, is now back on the case.

“We’re really fortunate that he’s come on board to work part time for us, to work exclusively on reviewing this case,” O’Meara said.

NBC5 news spoke with Grubbs’ mother Cherie on the phone. She said it’s difficult to see the five year mark come with no conclusion. Chief O’Meara echoed that sentiment.

“It’s important that David’s family, Michael and Cherie and Rachel and Sarah, David’s friends, David’s coworkers at Shop ‘N Kart and the entire Ashland community can just close this chapter in our history, in the family history and say, David will always be with us, but we don’t have this as an open wound anymore,” O’Meara said.

There is a $22,200 reward for information leading to an arrest. Police are looking for any lead, even from an anonymous source. If you have information, please contact investigators at the Ashland Police Department.

For more information on the case, click here.

© 2024 KOBI-TV NBC5. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.

Skip to content