Fires damage 2 Klamath Falls homes

Klamath Falls, Ore. – The Red Cross is assisting two Klamath Falls families who lost their homes in fires over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Fire Chief John Spradley says the first fire happened at around 9:30 Friday night at a home on Menlo Way…

“The cause was determined on that fire to be caused by antiquated and faulty wiring.”

The Red Cross is helping 2 adults and 2 children displaced by the fire.

Total damage is estimated at $45,000.

The second fire broke out at a home on Valinda Way at about 1:30 Saturday morning.

Chief Spradley says a call by a neighbor have have saved the family…

“The family were still in bed on that fire.”

Spradley adds that a faulty fireplace flue is believed to have sparked the fire…

“Had some charring that occurred in the attic, and started an attic fire that smoldered for quite some time before we arrived on scene.”

2 Adults, 3 kids, and a pet were evacuated from the home.

The fire caused about $200,000 in damage.

“One of the common things we found on both these fires, both homes had smoke detectors.”  Notes Chief Spradley.  “But neither home had working smoke detectors.”

The Red Cross offers a program providing free smoke alarm installation.

You can find out more information on that program, and apply online at:  www.redcross.org/cascadeshfpc

 

Leave a Comment:

Note: By commenting below you agree to abide by the KOBI5.com commenting guidelines. View the KOBI5.com Comment Board Guidelines »

Skip to content