Samsung phone eyed in South Carolina house fire

nc_samsungfire0908_1500x845Horry County, S.C. (WMBF) — A South Carolina man is looking for answers after his garage caught fire over the weekend.

Horry County Fire Rescue investigators said the fire originated near a wall outlet where the man’s phone was charging. The phone was a Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

The Note 7 has been recalled, and Samsung released a statement on Friday that said the company would stop selling the Galaxy Note 7 smart phone after it was determined there was an issue with the battery.

Wesley Hartzog said he plugged in his Note 7 to charge on Sunday and left his house to pick up his two daughters. When he returned, he found his home in flames and fellow firefighters surrounding it.

“Everybody was here and they were actually at the front door about ready to go inside and make the initial fire attack. Somebody told me that there was a fire in the garage. You know, you just don’t really ever think it will happen to you.” said Hartzog.

Read more:

© 2024 KOBI-TV NBC5. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.

Skip to content