Crews were called to Scenic drive and Coolidge street around 11 a.m. Firefighters said the tenants were using the wood stove. They’re the ones who called 911.
“The fire extended from the chimney into the walls of the house,” said Battalion Chief Kelly Burns. “Crews worked hard to make sure it didn’t consume the rest of the house.”
Everyone in the home made it out safely. Firefighters say it is important to have working smoke detectors in your home and have your chimneys cleaned and inspected if you plan on using them.
The fire remains under investigation.
NBC5 News Multimedia Journalist Rayvan Vares was born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii. He graduated from Southern Oregon University with a degree in Communication. While attending SOU, he traveled across Asia and studied in Japan. Rayvan loves hearing and reporting great stories.
When he’s not reporting, Rayvan enjoys working out, dancing hula and traveling. Feel free to email with story ideas, or if you just want to say “hi.”