SEATTLE, Wash. (KOMO) – Six patients at Seattle Children’s Hospital developed infections from mold in the facility since the beginning of 2018 and one died because of it.
The hospital revealed the cases Tuesday. The infections were caused by Aspergillus mold in the air.
It’s a common mold that most people can breathe in without getting sick, but it poses a greater risk to those with weakened immune systems or lung diseases.
All 14 of the hospital’s main operating rooms have been closed since May of this year because of the problem, which hospital officials attribute to problems with the air filtration system.