Medford, Ore. — Medford Fire-Rescue said a crew was returning to the station around 8:40 Monday morning when they happened to see an unreported structure fire at a home on Springbrook and Roberts Roads. The crew drove down the driveway and found the resident sitting in his kitchen, unaware of the fire burning in the attic.
Crews were able to stop the fire quickly — although the home suffered smoke and fire damage.
Crews said high resistance heating on an interior extension cord that was used outside and buried under wood and other debris caught fire, which then spread to the attic.
Firefighters said if the fire had happened last night and fire crews hadn’t seen the fire, the outcome could have been much worse.
© 2023 KOBI-TV NBC5. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.