Gas line breaks at popular shopping center

Medford, Ore– Shoppers and employees alike were evacuated Wednesday morning from a popular Medford shopping center because of a natural gas leak.

Police blocked parking lot traffic and kept shoppers and employees from entering the Bear Creek Shopping center on Biddle Road around 9:00 a.m.

Bi-mart, and other stores in the strip mall were shut down as firefighters worked to find the source of the gas line break. Bi-mart’s store manager says he first noticed the smell of gas and called police.

“We could smell gas inside,” said Glenn Iaggi. “We just pretty much put everything down and just walked.”

Iaggi says he thinks the line could have been broken by a loading vehicle,  though that’s not confirmed by Medford Fire and Rescue.

Leave a Comment:

Note: By commenting below you agree to abide by the KOBI5.com commenting guidelines. View the KOBI5.com Comment Board Guidelines »