Early morning fire damages home

Medford, Ore. — A Medford family’s home is significantly damaged after a fire breaks out on their patio early Wednesday morning.

Homeowner Charles Furrey said his wife woke up around 3:00 a.m. to use the restroom and saw flickers of the orange flames through the window.

“Before we went to bed we smelled smoke, we didn’t see anything, and thought must be a wildfire around here,” Furrey said. “Now we know better.”

Furrey said he grabbed a hose and tried to knock down the flames that started on the patio, but had climbed up the outside wall, and spread to the attic.

“As soon as I started spraying with the garden hose the kitchen window exploded,” he said.

Medford firefighters said a cigarette discarded into a wooden flower pot may have caused the fire. The cigarette could have been smoldering for days before igniting.

Furrey, his wife, and his grandson waited across the street for firefighters, who were able to quickly stop the spread of flames. Furrey said he’s thankful for the fast response and that his wife woke up when she did.

“It could have been a lot worse than it was,” he said.

© 2023 KOBI-TV NBC5. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.

Skip to content