According to the National Weather Service, Medford is under a freeze warning for Wednesday night, but seeking warmth calls for taking the right precautions.
A family’s worst nightmare… their home in flames.
As temperatures dip, Fire Marshal Greg Kleinberg says most Medford fires occur when heating devices get too close to combustible items.
Many people rely on space heaters to stay warm.
Hubbards Manager Mike Smith says portable heating sales have nearly doubled the past month.
“They want to make sure they’re prepared for the cold weather when it really does start to get cold and it really does start to hit hard,” Smith said.
But being prepared can mean more than staying warm.
To prevent house fires this holiday season, Medford Fire and Rescue has a few recommendations:
- Don’t leave a space heater unattended.
- Keep children and combustible items at least three feet away from heaters.
- Do not overload electrical outlets.
- Check all smoke and carbom monoxide detectors to assure they are working properly
More Medford Fire Rescue Tips: http://www.ci.medford.or.us/Files/Winter%20and%20Holiday%20Home%20Fire%20Safety.pdf
NBC5 News Multimedia Journalist Elizabeth Ruiz was raised in Northern Colorado. She graduated from Colorado State University with a degree in Journalism and Media Communication. She also minored in Spanish and studied in Spain. While at Colorado State, she was an anchor and reporter for CTV Channel 11.
Elizabeth loves Zumba dancing, singing and spending time with her family.