Woman dies in Grants Pass house fire

0208 Jo Co structure fireGrants Pass, Ore. — According to Rural/Metro Fire, one person is dead after a house fire that took place Sunday afternoon.

Firefighters say they responded to a house fire on the 200 block of Gordon Way in Grants Pass. Upon arrival, they were notified by neighbors that there may be somebody trapped inside. Crews were able to quickly knock down the fire, and moved in to search for any victims.

Once inside, they located one victim, 71-year-old Lorina Mae Maupin. Ambulance and fire crews attempted to resuscitate Maupin, but it was determined that she suffered too many burns and smoke inhalation, and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Due to the nature of the incident, Rural/Metro Fire requested the assistance of the Oregon State Police Arson Unit and State Fire Marshal’s Office.

After investigating, authorities say that Maupin may have been trying to start a fire in her wood stove using a flammable liquid. They say it appeared that she was spraying or throwing the flammable liquid into the fire, which splashed back, catching her and other items on fire.

Police say that it appears Maupin was attempting to escape the house, but was unable to do so. She was dependent on a walker for mobility.

Family members told Rural/Metro Fire that they were constantly warning Maupin to be more careful with the wood stove and to not use flammable liquid to start it. They also said that she would frequently leave the doors to the wood stove open to allow more heat to come into the home.

There were no working smoke alarms in the home. Rural/Metro fire would like to remind the community to make sure everyone has working fire alarms in their home, and never use flammable liquid to attempt to start a fire.

© 2024 KOBI-TV NBC5. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.

Skip to content