Sunnyside, Wash. – A Washington man’s split-second decision possibly saved a child’s life, but changed his own forever.
NBC affiliate KNDO reports while celebrating the Fourth of July with his family, Josh Luther noticed a 6-year-old child lighting a different type of firework. It turned out to be a mortar style firework, meant to be dropped inside a tube and lit.
At that moment, Luther’s 6 years of firefighting experience kicked in. “It did not click in my head what it was at first, but then I saw the quick fuse,” said Luther. ” I looked away and right away I jumped towards him grabbed it and I got about midway in throwing before it ignited itself and blew up and blew fragments in my hand,” said Luther.
Luther said his hands were blown to shreds and his throat split apart.
If you want to help, Luther’s family set up GoFundMe account at https://www.gofundme.com/2d26aztc
Read more HERE.
© 2023 KOBI-TV NBC5. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.